Author： CreatedTime：2018-09-06 10:09:00
Professor of Biochemical Engineeringand Deputy Director,
State Key Laboratory of Bioreactor Engineering,
East China University of Science and Technology
130 Meilong Road, Mailbox 283, Shanghai 200237, China
Lab webpage: http://sklbe.ecust.edu.cn/biomasslab
PhD, Biochemical Engineering, Yamaguchi University, Ube, Japan, 1997-2001.
Master of Engineering, Chemical Reaction Engineering, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China, 1995-1997.
Bachelor of Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Nanjing University of Science and Technology, Nanjing, China, 1980-1984.
2006-Present: Professor, School of Biotechnology, State Key Laboratory of Bioreactor Engineering, East China University of Science and Technology, Shanghai, China.
2002-2006: Postdoctoral Associate, Biochemical Engineering Program, University of California, Davis, CA, USA.
2001-2002: Postdoctoral Associate, Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Okayama University, Okayama, Japan.
1984-1994: Research Engineer, Department of Chemical Engineering, Qilu Petrochemical Research Institute of Sinopec, Zibo, China.
1. Associate Editor, Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology (Springer), 2012-present.2. Member of Editorial Board, Biofuels, Bioproducts and Biorefining (Wiley), 2008-present.
3. Member of Editorial Board, Bioprocess and Biosystems Engineering (Springer), 2012-present.
4. Member of Editorial Board, Journal of East China University of Science and Technology (Natural Science Edition), 2009-present.
5. Guest Editor, Advances in Biochemical Engineering/Biotechnology (Springer), Bioreactor Engineering Research and Industrial Applications Series, 2014-2015.
6. Guest Editor, Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology (Springer), Environmentally Benign Bioprocesses for Energy and Chemicals Production Special Issue, 2008-2009.
7. Guest Editor, Process Biochemistry (Elsevier), Bioenergy Production Special Issue, 2007-2008.
1. Process engineering of lignocellulose biorefinery technology for Bioproduction of liquid biofuels and bio-based chemicals
2. Metabolic engineering of biorefinery fermenting microorganisms for high tolerance and pentose utilization performances.
1. Undergraduate Course: Biorefinery Engineering, 2006-Present.
2. Undergraduate Course: Bioprocess Design, 2016-Present.
3. Graduate Course: Bioenergy Process Engineering, 2009-Present.
4. Graduate Course: Advances in Biochemical Engineering and Biotechnology. 2007-Present.
RECENT PUBLICATIONS (*Corresponding author)
1. Yanqing He, Jian Zhang, Jie Bao*. Acceleration of biodetoxification on dilute acid pretreated lignocellulose feedstock by aeration and the consequent ethanol fermentation evaluation. Biotechnology for Biofuels, 2016, 9:19.
2. Hongsen Zhang, Jian Zhang, Jie Bao*. High titer gluconic acid fermentation by Aspergillus niger from dry dilute acid pretreated corn stover without detoxification. Bioresource Technology, 2016, 203:211-219.
3. Jian Zhang1, Shuai Shao1, Jie Bao*. Long term storage of dilute acid pretreated corn stover feedstock and ethanol fermentability evaluation. Bioresource Technology, 2016, 201:355-359.
4. Xia Yi1, Peng Zhang1, Jiaoe Sun, Yi Tu, QiuqiangGao, Jian Zhang, Jie Bao*. Engineering wild-type robust Pediococcus acidilactici strain for high titer L- and D-lactic acid production from corn stover feedstock. Journal of Biotechnology,2016, 217:112-121.
5. Weiliang Hou1, Ruixin An1, Jian Zhang, Jie Bao*. On-site measurement and modeling of rheological property of corn stover hydrolysate at high solids content. Biochemical Engineering Journal, 2016, 107: 61-65.
6. WeiliangHou, Jian Zhang, Jie Bao*. Rheology evolution and CFD modeling of lignocellulose biomass during extremely high solids content pretreatment. Biochemical Engineering Journal, 2016, 105:412-419.
7. Gang Liu, Jian Zhang, Jie Bao*. Cost evaluation of cellulase enzyme for industrial scale cellulosic ethanol production based on rigorous Aspen plus modeling. Bioprocess and Biosystems Engineering, 2016, 39:133-140.
8. Jian Zhang, WeiliangHou, Jie Bao*. Reactors for high solid loading pretreatment of pretreatment of lignocellulosic biomass. Advances in Biochemical Engineering/Biotechnology,2016, 152:75-90.
9. Hanqi Gu, Jian Zhang, Jie Bao*. High tolerance and physiological mechanism of Zymomonas mobilis to phenolic inhibitors in ethanol fermentation of corncob residue. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 2015, 112:1770-1782.
10. Xia Yi, HanqiGu, QiuqiangGao, Z. Lewis Liu*,Jie Bao*.Transcriptome analysis ofZymomonas mobilis ZM4 reveals mechanisms oftolerance anddetoxification ofphenolic aldehyde inhibitors fromlignocellulose pretreatment. Biotechnology for Biofuels, 2015, 8:153.
11. Xia Wang, QiuqiangGao, Jie Bao*. Transcriptional analysis of Amorphotheca resinae ZN1 on biological degradation of furfural and 5-hydroxymethylfurfural derived from lignocellulose pretreatment. Biotechnology for Biofuels, 2015, 8:136.
12. Gang Liu1, Jiaoe Sun1, Jian Zhang1,Yi Tu,Jie Bao*. High titerL-lactic acid production from corn stoverwith minimum wastewater generationand techno-economic evaluation based on Aspen plus modeling. Bioresource Technology, 2015, 198:803-810.
13. Ke Liu, Jian Zhang, Jie Bao*. Two stage hydrolysis of corn stover at high solids content for mixing power saving and scale-up applications. Bioresource Technology, 2015, 196:716-720.
14. Abdul Sattar Qureshi, Jian Zhang, Jie Bao*. High ethanol fermentation performance of the dry dilute acid pretreated corn stover by an evolutionarily adapted Saccharomyces cerevisiae strain. Bioresource Technology, 2015, 189:399-404.
15. Jia-Qing Zhu, Lei Qin, Wen-Chao Li, Jian Zhang, Jie Bao, Yao-Dong Huang, Bing-Zhi Li,Ying-Jin Yuan. Simultaneous saccharification and co-fermentation of dry diluted acidpretreated corn stover at high dry matter loading: Overcoming theinhibitors by non-tolerant yeast. Bioresource Technology, 2015, 198:39-46.
16. Juan Wang, Huizhan Zhang*,Jie Bao*. Characterization of inulin hydrolyzing enzyme(s) in oleaginous yeastTrichosporon cutaneumin consolidated bioprocessing of microbial lipid fermentation. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 2015, 177:1083-1098.
17. Qureshi Abdul Sattar, Jian Zhang*, Jie Bao*. Cellulosic ethanol fermentation using Saccharomyces cerevisiae seeds cultured by pretreated corn stover material. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 2015,175:3173-3183.
18. Hanjie Li, Chenlin Ye, Ke Liu, Hanqi Gu, Weitao Du, Jie Bao*. Analysis of particle size reduction on overall surface area and enzymatic hydrolysis yield of corn stover. Bioprocess and Biosystems Engineering 2015, 38:149-154.
19. Zichen Luo, Jie Bao*. Secretive expression of heterologousβ-glucosidase in Zymomonas mobilis. Bioresources and Bioprocessing, 2015, 2:29.
20. Long-Ping Zhang, Jian Zhang, Chuan-Hang Li, Jie Bao*. Rheological characterization and CFD modeling of corn stover-water mixing system at high solids loading for dilute acid pretreatment. Biochemical Engineering Journal 2014, 90:324-332.
21. Yanqing He, Zhenhong Fang, Jian Zhang, Xinliang Li, Jie Bao*. De-ashing treatment of corn stover improves the efficiencies ofenzymatic hydrolysis and consequent ethanol fermentation. Bioresource Technology 2014, 169:552-558.
22. Cheng Lei, Jian Zhang, Lin Xiao, Jie Bao*. An alternative feedstock of corn meal for industrial fuel ethanolproduction: Delignified corncob residue. Bioresource Technology2014, 167:555-559.
23. Zhen-Hong Fang, Jian Zhang, Qi-Ming Lu, Jie Bao*. Process development of short-chain polyols synthesis from corn stover by combination of enzymatic hydrolysis and catalytic hydrogenolysis. Biotechnology Reports2014, 3:15-20.
24. ZichenLuo, QiuqiangGao, Xinliang Li, Jie Bao*. Cloning of LicB from Clostridium thermocellum and its efficient secretive expression of thermostable β-1,3-1,4-glucanase. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 2014, 173:562-570.
25. Yanqing He, Jian Zhang,Jie Bao*. Dry dilute acid pretreatment by co-currently feeding of corn stover feedstock and dilute acid solution without impregnation.Bioresource Technology 2014, 158:360-364.
26. Hong Ran, Jian Zhang, QiuqiangGao, Zhanglin Lin, Jie Bao*. Analysis of biodegradation performance of furfural and 5-hydroxymethylfurfural by Amorphotheca resinae ZN1. Biotechnology for Biofuels 2014, 7:51.
27. Yanqing He, Longping Zhang, Jian Zhang*,Jie Bao*. Helically agitated mixing in dry dilute acid pretreatment enhances the bioconversion of corn stover into ethanol.Biotechnology for Biofuels 2014, 7:1.
28. Hanqi Gu, Jian Zhang, Jie Bao*. Inhibitor analysis and adaptive evolution of Saccharomyces cerevisiae for simultaneous saccharification and ethanol fermentation from industrial waste corncob residues. Bioresource Technology, 2014, 157:6-13.
29. QiuqiangGao, Zhenyang Cui, Jian Zhang, Jie Bao*. Lipid fermentation of corncob residues hydrolysate by oleaginous yeast Trichosporon cutaneum. Bioresource Technology 2014, 152:552-556.
30. LihaoGuo, Jian Zhang, Fengxian Hu, Dewey DY Ryu, Jie Bao*. Consolidated bioprocessing of highly concentrated Jerusalem artichoke tubers for simultaneous saccharification and ethanol fermentation. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 2013, 110:2606-2615.
31. Hongwei Dong, Liqiang Fan, Zichen Lu, JianjiangZhong, Dewey D. Y. Ryu, Jie Bao*. Improvement of ethanol productivity and energy efficiency by degradation of inhibitors using recombinant Zymomonas mobilis (pHW20a-fdh). Biotechnology and Bioengineering 2013, 110:2395-2404.
32. Thai Ha Dao, Jian Zhang, Jie Bao*. Characterization of inulin hydrolyzing enzyme(s) in commercial glucoamylases and its application in lactic acid production from Jerusalem artichoke tubers (Jat). Bioresource Technology2013, 148:157-162.
33. Jian Zhang, Zhenhong Fang, Hongbo Deng, Xiaoxi Zhang, Jie Bao*. Cost analysis of cassava cellulose utilization scenarios for ethanol production on flowsheet simulation platform. Bioresource Technology2013, 134:298-306.
34. Kai Zhao, QinganQiao, Deqiang Chu, HanqiGu, Thai Ha Dao, Jian Zhang, JieBao*. Simultaneous saccharification and high titer lactic acid fermentation of cornstover using a newly isolated lactic acid bacterium Pediococcus acidilactici DQ2. Bioresource Technology2013, 135:481-489.
35. Kehong An, Fengxian Hu, Jie Bao*. Simultaneous saccharification of inulin and starch using commercial glucoamylase and the subsequent bioconversion to high titer sorbitol and gluconic acid. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology2013, 171:2093-2104.
36. Zhijie Liu, Yang Gao, Jun Chen, Tadayuki Imanakaa, Jie Bao, Qiang Hua*. Analysis of metabolic fluxes for better understanding of mechanisms related to lipid accumulation in oleaginous yeast Trichosporon cutaneum. Bioresource Technology2013, 130:144-151.
37. Wei Liu, Yumei Wang, Zhanchun Yu, Jie Bao*. Simultaneous saccharification and microbial lipid fermentation of corn stover by oleaginous yeast Trichosporon cutaneum.Bioresource Technology2012,118:13-14.
38. Jian Zhang, Jie Bao*. A modified method for calculating practical ethanol yield at high lignocellulosic solids content and high ethanol titer.Bioresource Technology2012,116:74-79.
39. Deqiang Chu, Jian Zhang, Jie Bao*. Simultaneous saccharification and ethanol fermentation of corn stover at high temperature and high solids loading by a thermotolerant strain Saccharomyces cerevisiae DQ1.Bioenergy Research2012,5:1020-1026.
40. Deqiang Chu, Hongbo Deng, Xiaoxi Zhang, Jian Zhang, Jie Bao*. A simplified filter Paper assay method of cellulase enzymes based on HPLC analysis.Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology 2012, 167:190-196.
41. Jianming Liu, XiujuanXin, Chunxiu Li, JianheXu, Jie Bao*.Cloning of thermostable cellulase genes of Clostridium thermocellumand their secretive expression in Bacillus subtilis. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology 2012,166:652-662.
42. Jian Zhang, Xin Ren, Wenqun Chen, Jie Bao*.Biological pretreatment of corn stover by solid state fermentation of Phanerochaetechrysosporium.Frontier of Chemical Science and Engineering2012,6:146-151.
43. Yumei Wang, Wei Liu, Jie Bao*. Repeated batch fermentation with water recycling and cell separation for microbial lipid production. Frontier of Chemical Science and Engineering 2012, 6(4):453-460.
44. Dan Wang, Jie Sun, Hui-Lei Yu, Chun-Xiu Li, Jie Bao, Jian-He Xu*. Maximum saccharification of cellulose complex by an enzyme cocktail supplemented with cellulase from newly isolated Aspergillus fumigatus ECU0811. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 2012, 166: 176-186.
45. Qian-Qian Shi, Jie Sun, Hui-Lei Yu, Chun-Xiu Li, Jie Bao, Jian-He Xu*. Catalytic performance of corn stover hydrolysis by a new isolate Penicilliumsp ECU0913 producing both cellulase and xylanase. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 2011, 164:819-830.
46. Xiao Huang, Yumei Wang, Wei Liu, Jie Bao*.. Biological removal of inhibitors leads to the improved lipid production in the lipid fermentation of corn stover hydrolysate by Trichosporon cutaneum. Bioresource Technology2011, 102:9705-9709.
47. Jian Zhang, Xiusheng Wang, Deqiang Chu, Yanqing He, Jie Bao*. Dry pretreatment of lignocellulose with extremely low steam and water usage for bioethanol production. Bioresource Technology2011,102:4480-4488.
48. Hongwei Dong, Jie Bao*, Dewey D. Y. Ryu, JianjiangZhong. Design and construction of improved new vectors for Zymomonas mobilis recombinants. Biotechnology and Bioengineering2011, 108:1616-1627.
49. Dexi Bi, Deqiang Chu, Pei Zhu, Chenyang Lu, Chao Fan, Jian Zhang, Jie Bao*. Utilization of dry distiller’s grain and soluble as trient supplement in the simultaneous saccharification and ethanol fermentation at high solids loading of corn stover.Biotechnology Letter2011,33:273-276.
50. Xiusheng Wang, Andong Song, Jie Bao*.Effect of calcium carbonate in waste office paper on enzymatic hydrolysi efficiency and the enhancement procedures. Korea Journal of Chemical Engineering2011,28:550-556.
51. Hongwei Dong, Jie Bao*. Biofuel via biodetoxification (News and Views). Nature Chemical Biology2010,6:316-318.
52. Jian Zhang, Deqiang Chu, Juan Huang, Zhanchun Yu, Gance Dai, Jie Bao*. Simultaneous saccharification and ethanol fermentation at high corn stover solids loading in a helical stirring bioreactor. Biotechnology and Bioengineering2010,105:718-728.
53. Jian Zhang, Zhinan Zhu, Xiaofeng Wang, Nan Wang, Wei Wang, Jie Bao*. Biodetoxification of toxins generated from lignocellulose pretreatment using a newly isolated fungus Amorphotheca resinae ZN1 and the consequent ethanol fermentation.Biotechnology for Biofuels2010,3:26.
54. Changjun Liu, Hongwei Dong, JianjiangZhong, Dewey DY Ryu, Jie Bao*. Sorbitol production using recombinant Zymomonas mobilis strain. Journal of Biotechnology2010,148:105-112.
55. Zhinan Zhu, JipingShi, ZhihuaZhou, FengxianHu, JieBao*. Photo-fermentationof Rhodobactersphaeroides for hydrogenproductionusinglignocellulose-derived organicacids.ProcessBiochemistry2010,45:1894-1898.
56. Xi Chen, Zihui Li, Xiaoxi Zhang, Fengxian Hu, Dewey D. Y. Ryu, Jie Bao*. Screening of oleaginous yeast strains tolerant to lignocellulose degradation compounds. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology2009,159:591-604.
57. Xinyun Jing, Xiaoxi Zhang, Jie Bao*. Inhibition performance of lignocellulose degradation products on industrial cellulase enzymes during cellulose hydrolysis. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology2009, 159:696-707.
58. ShuhongGao, Jie Bao*, XiaomingGu, XiujuanXin, Changhua Chen, Dewey D.Y. Ryu. Substrate promiscuity of pyruvate kinase on various deoxynucleosidediphosphates for synthesis of deoxynucleoside triphosphates. Enzyme and Microbial Technology2008, 43:455-459.
59. Jie Bao, Dewey D.Y. Ryu. Total biosynthesis of deoxynucleoside triphosphates using deoxynucleoside monophosphate kinases for PCR application. Biotechnology and Bioengineering2007,98:1-11.
60. Jie Bao, Dewey D.Y. Ryu. Cloning of deoxynucleosidemonophosphate kinase genes and biosynthesis of deoxynucleosidediphosphates. Biotechnology and Bioengineering2006,93:572-580.
61. Jie Bao,Dewey D.Y. Ryu. Biosynthesis reaction mechanism and kinetics of deoxynucleosidetriphosphates, dATP and dGTP.Biotechnology and Bioengineering2005,89:485-491.
62. Jie Bao, George Bruque, Dewey D.Y. Ryu. Biosynthesis of deoxynucleoside triphosphates, dCTP and dTTP: Reaction Mechanism and Kinetics.Enzyme and Microbial Technology2005,35:350-356.
63. Tai-BoongUhm, Tao Li, Jie Bao, Gukhoon Chung,Dewey D.Y. Ryu. Analysis of phospholipase D gene from Streptoverticillium reticulumand the effect of biochemical properties of substrates on phospholipase D activity. Enzyme and Microbial Technology2005,37:641-647.
64. Jie Bao, Kenichi Koumatsu, KeijiFurumoto, Makoto Yoshimoto,KimitoshiFukunaga, Katsumi Nakao. Deactivation kinetics of immobilized glucose oxidase and manganese dioxide particles in an airlift bioreactor in the prolonged operation for production of calcium gluconate. Biochemical Engineering Journal2004,22:33-41.
65. Yoshihiro Arimatsu, Jie Bao,KeijiFurumoto, Makoto Yoshimoto, KimitoshiFukunaga, Katsumi Nakao. Continuous production of calcium gluconate crystals in an integrated bioreaction-crystallization process using external loop airlift bubble columns with immobilized glucose oxidase gel beads. Journal of Chemical Engineering of Japan2004,37:1035-1040.
66. Jie Bao, Kenichi Koumatsu, Yoshihiro Arimatsu, KeijiFurumoto,Makoto Yoshimoto, KimitoshiFukunaga, Katsumi Nakao. A kinetic study on crystallization of calcium gluconate in external loop airlift column and stirred tank for an immobilized glucose oxidase reaction with crystallization. Biochemical Engineering Journal2003,15:177-184.
67. Jie Bao, KeijiFurumoto, Makoto Yoshimoto, KimitoshiFukunaga, Katsumi Nakao. Competitive inhibition by hydrogen peroxide produced in glucose oxidation catalyzed by glucose oxidase.Biochemical Engineering Journal2003, 13:69-72.
68. Jie Bao, BuliangGao, XiaofengWu, Makoto Yoshimoto, Katsumi Nakao. Simulation of industrial catalytic-distillation process for production of methyl tert-butyl ether by developing user’s model on Aspen plus platform. Chemical Engineering Journal2002,90:253-266.
69. Jie Bao, Kenichi Koumatsu, KeijiFurumoto, Makoto Yoshimoto, KimitoshiFukunaga,Katsumi Nakao. Optimal operation of an integrated bioreaction-crystallization process for continuous production of calcium gluconate using external loop airlift columns. Chemical Engineering Science2001, 56:6165-6170.
70. Jie Bao, KeijiFurumoto, KimitoshiFukunaga, Katsumi Nakao. A kinetic study on air oxidation of glucose catalyzed by immobilized glucose oxidase for production of calcium gluconate. Biochemical Engineering Journal 2001,8:91-102.
71. Jie Bao, KeijiFurumoto, KimitoshiFukunaga, Katsumi Nakao. Average and local oxygen transfer properties in bubble column with axial distribution of immobilized glucose oxidase gel beads. Chemical Engineering Science2000,55:5405-5414.
72. Katsumi Nakao, Jie Bao, Tsuyoshi Harada, YoshimasaYasuda, KeijiFurumoto. Measurement and predict of axial distribution of immobilized glucose oxidase gel beads suspended in bubble column. Journal of Chemical Engineering of Japan2000,33:721-729.